Snow Day Mix
January 26, 2011 § 5 Comments
It’s snowing in Philadelphia. It’s snowing a lot. It’s snowing so much that all the portmanteaux containing “snow,” “apocalypse,” “armageddon” and various combinations of all three (“It’s a Snowpocageddon!”) aren’t funny anymore. It’s snowing so much that I had to make a mix for it.
Here are 12 songs for snow days, shoveling cars and parking spots, wet feet and slushy boots, snowball fights, and going inside to a mug of hot cocoa and watching it all come down again.
1. Regina Spektor, “20 Years of Snow” – The piano sounds like snow drifts and the lyrics feel like cabin fever. [download]
2. matt pond PA, “Snow Day” – It’s that song from that Starbuck’s commercial (but I liked it since 2007 before it got popular). The lyrics say it all: “The people we have become / Still lay awake hoping to hear airwaves say / ‘Snow day, snow day…'” This song feels like a pick-up snowball fight on the sidewalk. [download]
3. The Decemberists, “January Hymn” – From their new album The King is Dead. This song wraps me up on a cold day just like strata of clothes. [download]
4. Fountains of Wayne, “Valley Winter Song” – My favorite song about winter ever. Neither literal nor metaphorical winters last forever; the summer’s coming soon. [download]
5. Billie Holiday, “I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm” – While I associate a number of acoustic country-flavored songs with winter, nothing beats some classic jazz to curl up with your love and a mug of hot chocolate to. [download]
6. Spangle Call Lilli Line, “Ice Track” – SCLL is an indie band from Japan with a mellow electronic-pop sound similar to Stars and Broken Social Scene at times. This track is from their third album and is perfect for unwinding after tunneling your escape route through the snow all day. [download]
7. Belle & Sebastian, “The Fox in the Snow” [download]
8. Feist, “Snow Lion” – Something about the harp always sounds perfectly wintry to me. [download]
9. Ida Maria, “Keep Me Warm” – Slow, soulful, reflective, and moody. Sometimes winter weather needs a desperate soundtrack. [download]
10. Rilo Kiley, “The Good That Won’t Come Out” – As cool and moody and reflective and desolate as standing on a frozen lake. [download]
11. matt pond PA, “Winterlong” – mpPA makes their second appearance on this mix with a gorgeous cover of the Pixies song from their Winter Songs EP, which also contains “Snow Day,” featured earlier in the mix. [download]
12. Karen O and the Kids, “Igloo” – From the soundtrack to Where the Wild Things Are. Winter childhood dreams and fantasies in an acoustic nutshell. [download]
Download the mix here. All songs in MP3 format.
EDIT: Added individual download links for all 12 songs. Enjoy, and keep warm!