The Great Philadelphia Earthquake of 2011
August 23, 2011 § 2 Comments
Shortly after 2:00 p.m. Eastern time, I felt a truck rumble past my office building in Northeast Philadelphia. A truck that started towing the very foundation while some morbidly obese maintenance workers fixed the roof.
Around the time the floor turned into a trampoline, my brain got wise to what was really going on: a 5.8 magnitude earthquake centered in Virginia. (Facebook and Twitter helped too.)
Ok, so it wasn’t really that traumatic, and Philadelphia hardly got the brunt of it.
But for this afternoon’s brave survivors cleaning up the aftermath (Straightening pictures. Setting vases right again. The rebuilding never ends.), here’s a playlist in our honor. A little bit of soul, a little bit of funk, a little bit of indie punk and a whole lotta shakin’ going on.
1. An Earthquake’s Comin’ / Black Velvet / Fallin’ off the Reel Volume 2
2. I’m Shakin’ / Rooney / Rooney
3. Emergency On Planet Earth / Jamiroquai / Emergency On Planet Earth
4. I Feel The Earth Move / Carole King / Tapestry
5. Shake! Shake! / The Subways / All or Nothing
6. Let Your Earth Quake, Baby / The Thermals / Fuckin A
7. Before and After the Quake / Oppenheimer / Take The Whole Mid-Range And Boost It
8. Earthquake Weather / Beck / Guero
9. After the Earthquake / Eels / Tomorrow Morning
10. You Only Live Once / The Strokes / First Impressions of Earth